Wednesday, November 28, 2012

50 Freezer Meals + Glorious Happiness

Good morning lovelies,

I am so happy today. I got the secretary to take a picture of me at work because I wanted to memorialize it. Here I am, spangly scarf, flower ring, black dress, flowered tights, leopard print wedges. Love it all!


I was driving to work, thinking about how gloriously happy I was. It reminded me of the day my husband and I were on a dingy sidewalk in California and I smelled the most wonderful smell. I followed it, my nose probably twitching like a spaniel’s, into this little hole in the wall ice cream shop where they were making homemade waffle cones. Right there! It was amazing! I think it was the happiest moment of my life.

I don’t say this to discount all the other amazing and much more significant moments in my life: the
day the preacher said, “you may kiss the bride”, when my water broke three weeks early, seeing my
daughters’ faces as we approached Cinderella’s castle for the first time. Those moments were bigger
and more expensive and life changing and planned. There was too much anticipation and expectation
wrapped up in them to be totally free.

Discovering the waffle cones, that was a totally unexpected, unweighted moment. Those happinesses are the best.

So today I’m driving to work, thinking about how happy I feel and how wonderful it is to be alive and have leopard shoes and spangly scarves to put on and about wrapping Christmas presents tonight and just all the goodness in the whole freaking world, and then about two minutes later I realize that I am thinking about what I would do if I got to work and found out that my husband was in a car accident on his way to work and he and my girls were killed.

When I caught myself, I was imaging sitting at their wake, and wondering if it would be worth paying my counselor by the hour to come sit with me and help me deal with my grief. Damn that forboding joy! As soon as I realized what was happening I told myself, “Hey! Back to the reveling at the birds and blades of grass. The sun is rising, no one is dying-cut it out!” And I did.

I doubt it ever goes away, forboding joy, not as long as we still have something to live for. But seeing it, today that was enough.

What I really wanted to share with you today is something TOTALLY different than what I usually write about. I found this post on Who Needs a Cape with recipes for 40 freezer meals in 4 hours. I’ve done this before, but there was a lot of advance cooking that needs to be done and also most of the meals were based on pasta or rice. These recipes are for the meat only. You assemble the bags (no pre-cooking), then put them in the crock pot all day, and voila! Dinner! Which is magical, because I’m not too concerned with all the house-y stuff, but for some reason the kids continue wanting to eat every. single. day.




So here’s my freezer. Last week I shopped the pre-Thanksgiving sales and ended up bagging and freezing 50 separate meals in portions of six. I also bought enough frozen rolls and bags of frozen veggies to go with the 50 meals, so we’re set at least until after Christmas, which was my goal because the holidays, they be crazy!

I don’t know how long it took exactly. It took about two hours to shop, and then I stopped prepping the meals partway through to take a little break and watch Grey’s Anatomy. Four hours seems about right.I also don’t know how much I spent. I think around $250 on the shopping list, plus another hundred or so on the frozen veg, rolls, crock pot liners, and freezer bags.

There wasn’t a shopping list included, so here's mine. Also, a lesson I learned the hard way. If you freeze the bags flat to save space, they don’t really fit in the crock pot. So if your hubs is packing the freezer, as mine was, tell him to freeze things upright so you’re not trying to hack it in half with a bread knife on your way out the door.

Happy Christmas season. Love you!

4 comments:

  1. I have a cookbook you might like to check into sometime. It's called Fix, Freeze, Feast, and we really like it! I'm not much of a meat eater, but that cookbook actually made me want to try quite a few of the meat dishes!

    Super fun shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for that one. This meat only thing is really working for us. Thanks for the recommend!

      Delete
  2. To help solve the frozen flat problem- pull the bag out the night before and let it thaw in the fridge :). It's easy to dump in the crockpot the next morning! Thanks again for compiling the shopping list for me! ~Katie @WNAC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! The recipes have been good so far! Teriyaki chicken tonight.

      Delete