Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Salsa Soup Recipe and Monday Meal Plan

My recipe for today is one of my grandmother's. It is similar to Tortilla Soup, but is lighter and easy to make. She called for boneless, skinless chicken breast but I substitute shredded roast chicken instead. For me, this uses up part of the roast chicken leftovers or rotisserie chicken leftovers. Using roasted chicken makes this a super fast recipe. I was also able to use up the end of a jar of salsa in the refrigerator and stale corn chips from the pantry!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1-2 tsp. chili powder
dash cumin
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
2 oz monterey jack cheese
tortilla chips

Combine all of the ingredients but the cheese and tortilla chips and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Crush tortilla chips into the bottom of bowls and serve the soup over the chips. Top with cheese.


My meal plan this week was a challenge since I am trying to use as much as possible of what is in the freezer and pantry already. We are so bad about buying something and then finding an unopened bag of the same thing in the freezer. I actually made a 3 week plan and did a 3 week shop to work through most of what is left and to also find ways to use the leftovers and we did a fast 40 minute power shop through Wal-Mart this morning so we should be set for a while. We will have to go back for milk, bread, and cheese but I think Ryan and Bailey can handle that without me.
Monday-Chicken Salsa Soup
Tuesday-Global Salad with Tuna Sandwiches
Wednesday-Slow Cooker beef with Broccoli and Brown Rice
Thursday-BBQ Chicken Pizza on Naan
Friday-Black Bean Burger Wraps with Carrots
Saturday-Soft Tacos with Fajita Beef and Corn
Sunday-Ham and Cheese Calzones with Steamed Vegetables
What are you having for dinner this week?

Linked to:

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I'm glad you're back. What I can see of the cabinet backsplash looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete